Spanish thyme essential oil
12,00€ VAT included (23%)
Thymus mastichina Respiratory System
100% Pure and Certified Organic
After collecting plants manually with the help of a sickle, their essential oils are extracted using a stainless steel alembic by means of steam distillation. This process allows the preservation of all the scents and active principles and thereby guarantees the quality of the essential oil.
Distilled part: Aerial part. Cultivation methods: Organic farming and Permaculture. Origin: Herdade de Vale Côvo, Portugal.
Organic Spanish Thyme Essential Oil
In ancient times, the Egyptians used thyme for embalming, the Greeks to prevent contagious diseases, and the Romans used it to get courage. Modern aromatherapy recognizes its germicidal properties, its positive effect against respiratory conditions, and its potential for self-confidence enhancement. Spanish thyme is an endemic species from Iberian Peninsula, which is common in Portugal.
Therefore how to use?
- With a diffuser with water or on wooden balls: By adding just a few drops in a diffuser with water or on wooden balls, its essential oils gives off a remarkably fresh scent, which is a great antiseptic and insect repellent.
- If inhaled: If inhaled (pure or with water steam), it has bronchial, expectorant and antispasmodic actions, being used in the treatment of respiratory diseases (sinusitis, bronchitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis) and in the relief of productive cough. It also strengthens the immune system, preventing respiratory infections.
- By ingestion: The ingestion of this essential oil (2 drops in a teaspoon with honey or 1-3 drops in a teacup with hot water, twice a day after meals) has similar effects to those of inhalations. It also helps digestion, eliminates intestinal parasites, reduces extra weight, stimulates the hormonal production of oestrogen, regulates the menstrual period and delays menopause.
- Massage: Diluted in vegetable oil (5%, approx. 100 drops per 100 ml) and applied in massage, it has a calming and sedative effect on rheumatic pains, warming and relaxing the muscular system. For its anti-bacterial and fungicide properties, it is used topically in the treatment of skin infections caused by fungi, genital yeast infection, eczema and acne. In natural cosmetics, it is diluted in vegetable oil, lotions and creams to clean normal and oily skin. It is also added to shampoo to stimulate the growth and strengthening of the hair, and it gives soaps a nice fresh scent.
- In gargles: It can be used in gargles as a mouth-wash to disinfect and remove bad breath.
- In the bath: A few drops in a bath help you to find out motivation to achieve your goals and gives you strength to recover from emotional stress and adverse situations.
What are the recommendations?
The essential oil must not be used internally on patients with digestive or neurological disorders. High doses may cause spasms. People with respiratory allergies should avoid its external use. Administration to children younger than 6 should be avoided. It must not be used on children younger than 6 years old.
What is the cultivation method?
We are certified organic by Ecocert – Portugal (PT-BIO-02). We don’t use chemical products, such as fertilisers and insecticides. Organic farming techniques are used for growing the plants. We create the conditions for our plants to prosper in their natural environment and so the endemic plant species return to their native habitat (permaculture).
What part of the plant is distilled?
In the case of rosemary, the distilled part is the aerial part of the plant, because it is the most vigorous and where the majority of essential oils are concentrated. Thus, in the rosemary plantations, the upper part of the plant is collected.
What is the origin of our plants?
Our plants come from Herdade de Vale Côvo, Mértola, Portugal. They are harvested by hand with a sickle on the farm itself.
What is the method of distillation?
After manually collecting the plants with the help of a sickle, their essential oils are extracted using a stainless steel alembic by means of steam distillation. This process allows the preservation of all the scents and active principles and thereby guarantees the quality of the essential oil.
Plant from organic farming (PT-BIO-02). ECOCERT, Portugal
|Dimensions||3 × 6 × 10.5 cm|